Sunday, September 7, 2008

Gotcha Day - Part 1


Well, today is the day! I just finished meeting with Dr. C.S, Lee, P&G's Medical Director for China that I mentioned in last night's blog. He was so incredibly gracious, and offered any and all assistance to me during my stay in China with Shen. He also shared with me the Bible Study group he is in and offered to take Shen and I to his church next Sunday.
Now I am in final preparations to go get Shen. In addition to all the formal papers for the adoption, I have a teddy bear, a sippy cup with orange juice, a matchbox car, some Chinese cookies, a picture of mommy who we are going to call in the middle of her night to say Gotcha, and ALL the gifts for the nannies at the orphanage, the Passport officials, the Civil Affairs officials and the Notaries. I have attached a picture of all the materials and gifts that will go with me to the Civil Affairs office this afternoon.
The plan is that I will be picked up at 1:30 pm (12:30 am Chicago) and, with the other 5 families, go to the Civil Affairs Office. Sometime between 3:00 and 4:00pm (2:00 - 3:00 am Chicago), I will get Shen.
In talking with Jodie this morning (last night her time), she asked me to blog my feelings right now. WOW! It's really hard to express how I feel right now. I have been blessed to live what the world might call a successful life, and I have been able to do most of the things I have ever wanted to do. I've lived in a foreign country, traveled to 49 countries, climbed an active volcano, been on a photographic safari in Africa, driven to Alaska with my dad camping all the way, met political figures and celebrities from all walks of life, stayed actively involved in the game (tennis) that I love, am involved in a great business with great partners, and yet, at the end of the day, I know that family matters most! The other things I mentioned; well, they matter, but not like family and relationships! What will happen in my heart today is what really matters!
Jodie and Connor mean the world to me, as do our immediate and extended family and friends. Today is still a different feeling for me. As my incredibly astute wife said, adopting Shen is a matter of my heart! I know that God has led Jodie and I to this day and, for that, I am thankful and feel tremendously blessed! I am humbled beyond imagination. I am nervous about the unknown with Shen today but, yet, I have a sense of peace about what is going to take place. I thank all of you for your prayers and support! So, here it is again: There, but for the Grace of God, go I!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Jack,

I'm so excited for you and your family. You must be bursting at the seams. I can't wait to hear how Gotcha Day goes. Shen is a very lucky boy!

Chris A