Monday, September 15, 2008

Touring the Villages






Hello everyone! Well, it wasn't so much going into the countryside as it was going to the far suburbs. This morning, Shen and I spoke with Mommy and Connor, then went to breakfast, and met all the other families for a tour of the countryside villages. We never really got into rural China but we did go pretty far out into the suburbs. After all, metropolitan Guangzhou has a population of over 10 million. Once we arrived in one village, we got out and walked through the village area. Since it was pretty rough cobblestone and dirt walkways, I didn't take the stroller. Little man and I got quite a bit of exercise, and a lot of it was me carrying him. His favorite line sounds like "Go, Babba!" which translates pretty clearly into "Pick me up, Daddy!"
I am attaching some pictures of the area so you can see the lifestyle within these Chinese villages. The first is a walkway in the village with a small canal next to it. The second is an orchard of star fruit trees, then a houseboat made of CONCRETE.
We left the village after about 2 hours and all the families went to lunch together, where we had dumplings, rice noodles, seaweed, various assorted beef dishes, tofu, pork, as well as a "flaming fish" dish. I am including two pictures from lunch with the final being the flaming fish head. The fish's head was REALLY on fire when they brought it out to us. I couldn't understand what Shen said when he saw the fire coming out of the fish's head, but it sounded like, "Wow, that's cool!"
On another note, little man has a bit of a tooth problem, or inflamed gum situation going on. So, we went to the clinic here at the White Swan and the doctor gave him some low level antibiotic for the inflammation. The doctor didn't think it was serious but we will probably need to see a dentist pretty soon after we get home.
He took a really great nap this afternoon and we went for a swim. Then, we went to the photo shop across the shop and we had a mission. I only found out yesterday that the people at the orphanage and foster home, where Shen had been living, were really worried about him. If you remember, when they handed him off to me last Monday, he was in a pretty bad state emotionally. In fact, I have learned today that, when he given to me, he was crying out for someone to rescue him. As I explained on Gotcha Day, they put he and I in a room, in an attempt to calm him, and we never saw the people from the orphanage again. Because they had not gotten to speak with me or say goodbye to him, they have been concerned for him. So, I am going to print out about 6or 7 pictures, showing him having fun and socializing with other people; then have them sent to the orphanage. This way, they will know he is content and doing well.
Now, I want to share something VERY important with all of you who have been following our blog. It is now 4:15 pm on Monday afternoon (3:15 am on Monday in Chicago). It was one week ago right now that Shen became our son! For that, I thank God! I feel so Blessed to have the family that I do in Jodie, Connor and Shen!! I am humbled beyond imagination on what this experience has meant to me. I know that the transition at home will have its trials. But, as long as we let God lead the way, I know we will make it through any hurdles placed before us.
Finally, I ask for your prayers tomorrow (Tuesday). Tomorrow is THE REASON why I am here during this specific time period. At 9:00 am here (8:00pm on Monday night in Chicago), we have our U.S. Consulate Appointment. It is THIS appoinment that determines when you come to China, when you get your child, and when you leave! Bob, our guide, has told me that we may not have any information until after Noon on Tuesday (after 11:00pm Monday night in Chicago) but, from his perspective having done this hundreds of times before, we have all of our paperwork in order. If the appointment goes well, we will have a "swearing in" ceremony on Wednesday afternoon.
I'm sorry this is so long, but there was a lot to share. Shen and I say a prayer for all of you every night.
Love,
Jack and Shen

No comments: