Friday, September 12, 2008

The Zoo




Hello everyone! Today has been another fun day for the Groppel boys!! After a great breakfast, Shen and I met the other families and we went to the Guangzhou Zoo. It's a very small zoo but immaculate and the animal exhibits are beautiful. Shen really enjoyed the day. He got a new pair of sunglasses that mommy had sent with daddy and, being ALL boy, he put them on upside down for quite awhile. This brought a lot of chuckles from all the Chinese people.
And, speaking of the Chinese people, an interesting thing happened today that Jodie and I had been prepared for. Since the zoo is so small, Shen and I walked around by ourselves for awhile. Many Chinese people approached us when they saw that I obviously am not Chinese and that he obviously is Chinese. They just started talking and talking, with me not understanding a thing they said. Thank goodness our facilitators gave us a card to show the Chinese people. It explains that I am from America and have come to their great country to adopt the little boy they see with me. Interestingly, they just nod their "seeming" approval and just keep talking to me. And, I had NO idea what they were saying. I just wanted to get a picture of the Panda (the icon of this little zoo).
After the zoo, we went to lunch where Shen ate his FIRST EVER peanut butter & jelly sandwich (that he devoured). Then, he took a great nap. It sure is interesting; he does NOT ever want to take a nap but, when he finally settles down and becomes quiet, he sleeps like a rock. The same is true at night. He just wants to go and go, but when he stops, he stops. I have to wake him in the middle of the night just to make sure he visits the bathroom. And, trust me, there are more great "bathroom" stories, but for another time.
As for U.S. Paperwork, all is in the works for our initial materials to be picked up from the U.S. Consulate late this afternoon. Then, I meet with our facilitators several times over the upcoming weekend and on Monday to complete the various stages of said paperwork. I'm really not sure how it all gets done but I know there is a lot going on behind the scenes with our facilitators and the two governments.
Well, it's time to sign off for now. We love you all!
Jack and Shen

No comments: