Monday, September 8, 2008

Gotcha Day - Part 2




I GOT HIM!!!!!! He is a darling little guy with an incredible personality. The day has not been without its bumps, however. I'll take you through it.
We met at the New Victory hotel at 1:30pm (12:30am in Chicago). After going through some more paperwork, all six families left on a bus to the Civil Affairs office. We arrived there at about 2:45pm and there were already about a dozen other families waiting for their children. We had even more paperwork to complete and then they started bringing children to families in our group. Shen was the last child brought out. He was dressed in original Chinese clothing and was very "sober" as he approached me. Then, when they handed him over to me, he just erupted in tears. Apparently, and we didn't know this, he had been living with a foster family for the past year. You can imagine what was going on in this little guy's mind! He had been abandoned at birth, gone through two cleft surgeries, but today he was yanked from a family who had been loving him for the past year, but couldn't keep him. Let me just say that he cried non-stop for about 3-1/2 hours. There were a few interludes of laughter between he and I, however. For example, on the bus ride home, he said to our guide in perfect mandarin that he had to pee. Well, in China, they just pull over. So, the bus driver pulled over and I was instructed by our guide to take him behind the bus over by a banana tree and let him pee. Thus, was my introduction to my son going to the bathroom. After that, we called mommy and mommy said she couldn't wait to hold him and, you will love this, he can't speak English but I had already taught him to say OK. So, that's how he responded to mommy's comment, with an OK and then an "I Love You."
Well, the crying became more of an aching cry (almost a mourning cry) until I gave him a bath back in our hotel room. Then, he settled down and we have been having a great time ever since. We have been watching television and coloring on cartoons the rest of the evening.
Now, one more funny thing just happened. He told me niao niao (pronounced nyow nyow) which means pee pee. Well, he has NEVER seen a toilet before because, in the Chinese orphanages and most homes, they only have a recepticle in the floor. Well, I went in the bathroom with him, showed where to do his business and he proceded to pee all over the wall behind the toilet. Needless to say, I had to say Bu Shi (Pronounced boo shee) which means "not OK." I know some of you are laughing right now.
We are going to settle down soon to try to get some sleep. I am not sure what to expect relative to the crying but we will just deal with what is handed us. We have to be back at the Civil Affairs office tomorrow morning because, to the Chinese government, this is called "Harmonious Day," which means we have to be happy with our child. Well, mommy and I are VERY happy, but I still have to go back to sign final papers.
Enjoy the pictures! I only got pictures when we got back to the room; there was just way too much going on at the Civil Affairs Office for pictures. There was a cameraman there and, hopefully, I will get pictures later. I did get the Gotcha moment videotaped so, when I get back to the we will download that and you will get to see the actual event as it happened.
We love you all!
Jack and Shen

2 comments:

The Wards said...

OMGOSH!!!!
He is sooooo cute.
Congratulations!
Good luck with that pee-training!!!!
hahahahahha! Use Cheerios in the toilet....worked with my boys!!! :)
Can't WAIT to play with him in the backyard!
The Wards

Rachel said...

YAY!!! Praise God! He is absolutely adorable. I love that he is so laid back on the bed and already smiling for you.